Here we go.

03 March 2013

adventure time!

Last weekend was fun in that I got to do something I've wanted to do for ages.  On Saturday,  Blair, Matt, ATM & I drove a couple of hours over to Murfreesboro, Arkansas to try our luck at Crater of Diamonds State Park.  I was SO excited about this adventure that I went ahead & purchased some boots that I've had my eye on for some time.

 photo d2cedaac-98de-498d-bade-eb367294fbe6_zpsbe7e4ee5.jpg

It was a mild & sunny day, perfect for soaking up vitamin D.  The park is not really much to look at:
 photo 2FC5E60B-F0FA-4153-9701-1B1B9F690FDF-3214-000003BCF5AFEDCB_zps229efca6.jpg

So, here's the deal: you can walk about to see if you can spot a diamond on the surface or you can put some of that good earth in a bucket and sift it through water in a trough.  What you should have left in your sieve, if done properly, is gravel.  You sort through that gravel for diamonds and other goodies like amethyst & quartz crystal, and pretty rocks.

 photo 0EC2AB31-0DC6-4804-A0D8-F2BE585BA2DE-3214-000003BD0741C2BF_zps7db6629c.jpg

ATM:
 photo 875C3460-B6FA-44D7-B691-2CE186077B72-3214-000003BD36E0E0EA_zpsa9f34a89.jpg

We'd gone right after a heavy rain.  Apparently, dirt does not stick to diamonds and the rain puts them to surface, so I tried looking for diamonds just laying about.  No luck.
 photo DF1A8B82-16CB-4FDE-A853-45E9272CA209-3214-000003BD3BA3D76D_zps374df21c.jpg

Here's Matt, doing all the hard, dirty work.  Blair & I supervised and talked to this real nice fella named John from Minnesota.  He came all the way down to Arkansas to find his gal a diamond, which is really sweet of him, if you're into that sort of thing.
 photo 2C474665-9CDC-49CC-93E7-BFDC028F40E9-3214-000003BCFE4BE1AC_zpsaf1226d6.jpg

 photo D8D2A231-6C50-466A-B69F-603E5E71E60A-3214-000003BCF1A20190_zpsc6332def.jpg

Blair + ATM going through the gravel:
 photo 3AB73A93-75EC-4B30-A6C3-84080DE92E3C-3214-000003BCEC66A9A5_zps22af1a86.jpg

Boot rinse area:
 photo 6D3427BC-1B48-4DB9-B2CC-E85E8B00B8DC-3214-000003BCF9BAE79E_zps1046a7f4.jpg

So, even though we didn't find anything, I bagged some of the gravel (you can take up to a 5 gallon bucket home to sort through at your leisure) to use for my succulent plants back home.  Before I threw them in the pots, I decided to go ahead and go through it:
 photo 19ADBB65-AC75-4EA7-9377-18623815B6C3-3214-000003BCD14ACF81_zps12268038.jpg

I can't be sure that I found a diamond, but I found something.  It is so sparkly + shiny, especially when compared to a bit of crystal:
 photo C7F28863-1395-46C9-BE69-C5729318C4C3-5262-000005767F6C2BA4_zpse942d7cf.jpg

I'm pretty happy about this find, even if it turns out to be nothing.  Might even be a piece of glass!  I suppose if I ever return to the park, I can have someone there identify it for me.  Unless one of y'all know.

 photo 3E9A18E7-4579-4EC6-9E6C-39B1A04C6E91-5262-000005766B3E1DE9_zpsa8f5cdef.jpg

I've never been to Murfreesboro, but I'd like to go back to try to dig for gems once more (it takes a good hour to sort out exactly what you're doing and what you're looking for, but I can get right to it next time) and check out the thrift stores of that small town.  I have a feeling that there may be some big scores there.

We rounded out the afternoon by getting supper at Rattler's Den.  We totally picked that restaurant because of it's name & because we'd heard about their chicken fried steak.  It was shockingly good.  Here is my brown & white dinner, in all it's splendor:
 photo ED261958-9F59-4D5D-8BEE-6F3AE1BFE374-3214-000003BCD87D3827_zpsc6eb0c49.jpg


2 comments:

Blair said...

I'm pretty positive it's a diamond. Like, for real.

nicole said...

Congrats on your dazzler! I wanna go with y'all next time! :)

Blog Archive